Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mamando Gallo

Hi Everyone!

I have arrived in Cartagena, Colombia and I am safe and sound. You can put all of your worries to rest. It is a city of a little less than a million people located on the Coast. I am living in a hotel across the street from the ocean. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

So my dad you have inspired me to blog and make bread. I figured blogging was probably the easiest way to keep everyone up to date on my adventures. As I write this I have bread baking in a toaster oven. I will let you know how it turns out. I am calling this bread White Oat Delite! Seeing that I have only been able to find white flour. I can't lie...I miss your bread!









So I have been here for less than 48 hours and I am already fascinated with the people, the city and the culture. Just so that everyone is on the same page I am living with my best friend from home Lani. Yesterday, when she was at class I went with her boyfriend Jota to explore the center of Cartagena and purchased a cellphone. He was nice enough to help me find the cheapest phone. The center of Cartagena is filled with colorful buildings, many lively restaurants and crowded shops. Jota has been teaching me many different words and phrases. My favorite phrase so far is "mamando gallo," which literally means "fucking chicken" in English. But in Colombia the phrase is used when you are joking with someone.

The Spanish that is spoken here is extremely fast and difficult to understand. However, I am sure that with time things my speaking will improve. I don't think I really have an option. Since I only will be speaking English when I am tutoring kids.

I got to go to the beach! Enjoy your day!

Peace and Love,
Megan




4 comments: