Saturday, April 24, 2010

La ciudad que no existe...

So for the last week I have been trying to think of the short story that I was certain to I have read about Mompox, Colombia in one of my Spanish Literature classes in college. No such luck! I finally came to the conclusion that I had written this story in my own head. I think I had combined the works of Julio Cortazar's collection of short stories Todos los fuegos el fuego and Gabriel Garcia Marquez's novel El general en su labriente. I have never read Garcia's novel -- only heard people here in Colombia talking about how Mompox is incorporated into the story. And I imagine like his other masterpieces it is worth reading. However, I highly recommend Cortazar's collection of short stories. Arguably one of the best pieces of literature that I read during my college career.

Anyways don't want to bore you with what I may or may not have read in college. Mompox, Colombia is a small city that is hidden in the interior of this nation. Situated on the Magdalena River and surround by swamps, it takes a determined soul to reach this place. There is current discussion of putting a highway through Colombia that would connect Venezuala to Panama. With the construction of this road this quaint city would forever change, most likely losing it's charm that makes it so unique. In my mind I call it "La ciudad que no existe" (the city that doesn't exist). I encourage you to visit it before we lose the city of sleepy glory.

Until next time,
Megan

In order to get to Mompox you have to take a ferry across the river it's about a 30 minute trip, but only departs at certain times throughout the day. Of course Lani and I got to chill in a little hut for a good two hours before we board the ferry. Very relaxing afternoon -- on Colombian time.




See if you can spot the iguana. We went on a trip down the Magdalena River and hiked the river banks.







A picture of the front of our boat and the river banks of Mompox.

















The cemetary of Mompox. People are still buried here today and the graves are above ground. The tombstones are massive.



I have never been so close to monkeys in my life. They were incredibly loud and tried to poop on our heads. Thankfully, we both escaped. They don't look that close cause my camera is ancient.









The shores of Mompox. Interesting fact that we learned from our boat driver -- the presidents wifes parents "live in Mompox." Or they own a second home in Mompox, but not sure how often they visit.


1 comment:

  1. I want to go to Mompox!!!! I want to visit Columbia! I want to win the lottery. I want to quit my job and travel the world with Soph, Meg Peg and my girl Jena. Make it happen!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete